Integrative SIBO Conference 2018 Speaker Kayla Sandberg-Lewis is a Neurofeedback Practitioner, who introduced the relationship regarding Brain Injuries and SIBO.
Here are some of my notes :
• Brain injury causes: Stroke, explosives (military), car accidents (whether or not you hit your head), falling ( whether or not you hit your head ), sports injuries, abuse, assaults, birth trauma - using the forceps, anoxia - absence of oxygen, metabolic disorders, infections, tumors.
• Head Trauma can cause the body to be switched to a sympathetic dominance state. This leads to a huge decrease in digestive activity because the brain stem is in high arousal or fight or flight / freeze state.
• Brain Injuries effects the intestinal contractility and Is attributed to secondary inflammation, hyperpermeability and GI motility problems leading to SIBO.
• Brain Injuries induces changes in the microbiota of the cecum, produces norepinephrine which alters mucoprotein production, and pro-inflammatory cytokines
• Athletes consisting of Gymnasts and soccer players can be affected by Traumatic Brain Injuries.